In this page you can learn which are the requirements for “Text Animator for Unity” and what are its limitations.
In order to work, “Text Animator for Unity” needs the following:
- TextMeshPro Package, available for free in Unity.
- Unity 2018.3 or above (it needs “Scripting Runtime Version: .NET 4.x Equivalent” and “C#7”)
- ✔️ Unity 2018.3, 2018.4, 2019.x and above
- ❌ Unity 2018.2 and below
✅ That’s it! Yay!
Integrating third party dialogue systems and plugins
If your project contains a Dialogue System or any similar plugin:
- Discover which plugin is already integrated: Integrated Plugins & Dialogues Systems
- In case your plugin is not in the list, you can learn how to manually integrate external plugins here: How to manually integrate Text Animator”.
30+ tags compatible, except for <page>
Out of 30+ TextMeshPro’s tags, the only tag that is not compatible is:
- ✔️ Compatible: align, alpha, color, b, i, cspace, font, indent, line-height, line-indent, link, lowercase, uppercase, smallcaps, margin, mark, mspace, noparse, nobr, pos, size, space, sprite, s, u, sub, sup, style, voffset, width
- ❌ Not compatible: page
👍🏻 You can still use the above ‘not compatible’ cases in your games (eg: using <page> in a TMPro component) but not when animating the text.
Bars are not animated (by choice)
“Bars” in texts (
underlines) are not animated by choice.
- Reason: Here is how animated bars look like. Since they’re not that good-looking, it’s been chosen to keep them static.
Removing tags when unistalling the package
As known (like TMPro), if you unistall this package you must remove all this plugin’s tags manually from your dialogues.
👍🏻 If you’re worried about this for any reason, you could use the plugin to only apply effects that show characters dynamically (“Appearance Effects”), like a typewriter, since they don’t require any tag and everything will be left untouched in case you remove the plugin.
You can also create a script that replaces tags, like “
Using \r and \b
You can’t erase or replace parts of the text midtime.
❌ Backspaces (e.g.
\b ) are currently not supported
✔️ You can erase/change/replace the entire text midtime.
Custom Effects via C#
An improvement on how to write custom effects (C#) and features (C#) is currently in the works. For this reason, the C# Custom Effects API may change in the future. Please keep in mind this in case you plan to update the asset on a live project and you’ve written C# effects <3
👍🏻 You can safely create custom effects via the inspector instead.